Monday, January 07, 2008

Hello Country, Goodbye Nightclub

First post of the new year and I thought I might do a short note about what I think this year is going to be about.

In this year:
  • Low-rise buildings, low-rise jeans
  • Organic and free-range (food)
  • Walks in the park
  • Memories (like fire, radiant and immutable)
  • Things of value = history, photography, old stuff

Out this year:

  • Modern skyscrapers, long hair
  • Cheap, mass-produced produce
  • Shopping in the city
  • New things, the future
  • Things of value = money, bling bling, new stuff

In Auxerre, we bought a lovely Trousselier rotating lamp with Le Petit Prince prints on it. Initially I thought that I would love falling asleep to the Little Prince flying through the air in a slow motion natural rotation. But having placed it in a corner, I realised there was another undiscovered beauty to it.

In the corner, narrow bands of light wait in line to take off into feathered flight as the corner narrows band after band of light, only to stretch them out into a feathered quill, swirl them through the air, then neaten them up into a narrow line of light again in a feathery carousel.

I stared at them for hours, amazed by the simple beauty of a play of light.

Light. It was only light.

After a while, I'd realised it really is just the simple things.

No comments: