Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Mesh is the new Net

[And now in my myriad chameleon phases, I am now operating temporarily as a Tech blogger. I promise this will terminate at the end of this post.]

Those who know me know that I don't normally rave about a product that Microsoft produces, unless it's very very good. I have high standards for technology, not least in the area of look and feel, and so it's very seldom that I come across a product that meets all requirements in form and functionality.

With that context, I'd like to momentarily rave about Live Mesh. The technology and concept isn't new, leveraging peer-to-peer download technology, Live Mesh allows the multiple computers and devices that everyone these days tend to own (the laptop at home, a mobile phone, the desktop at work) to talk to each other and share files. It also comes with the ability to allow remote desktop access, to extend the user's reach into the interface of computers and devices not immediately at your desk. All these brought together with and by a virtual desktop called Live Desktop, that allows you to sync with a virtually hosted 5GB+ of online storage. All that... and synchronizing across mobile devices as well as Macs. Beauty.

I may be using Live Mesh beyond what it was touted to do, which was allow seamless integration across the same platforms for similar files. What I found it did enable:
  • One click back-up onto the virtual desktop of key folders in Documents through the synchronization function
  • Remote Desktop'ing allowing me to now completely treat my laptop as well as the personal one at home as merely virtual terminals into a seamless workspace
  • If my laptop crashes tomorrow, well, the one I use most frequently anyway, I will not cry, because there is literally nothing on it that doesn't have a sync copy somewhere else

Mesh is that fabric of a safety net to catch me when I fall, with hopefully less holes than will let an elephant through. Am loving the interface and speed so far - will have to see if this ends up becoming a paid and potentially slower service as more users start cottoning on to the idea.

No comments: