Saturday, January 28, 2006

Mustafa swanked up!

"Darling, I can't sleep and I need to shop... now!"
"It's 3am in the morning, can this wait until tomorrow morning?"
"No, now!"
"Ok ok, let me get changed and we'll go to Mustafa..."
- I am not kidding when I say that I have overheard this.


Mustafa is another one of those reasons why expats come to Singapore and don't want to live in any other comfortable city after that. Yes there may not be as much culture as say, New York or London, but where else can you find comfortable, air-conditioned shopping, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week? Where else can you buy anything your heart desires, ranging from air tickets to air cleaners, couscous to cars, toothbrushes to tennis racquets?

To make matters better and migrating from Singapore harder, Mustafa has recently swanked up to add 2 new floors to their already extensive department store. I found a $600 Victorinox accessory, and silverware from WMF. Mustafa has begun to look like John Little's on a normal day.

Honestly, folk, Mustafa is starting to give Harrod's a run for their money, with an extra 24 hour factor thrown in, so you never need to stand pressed against the store window at 8.30am in the morning waiting to be let in.

It's starting to get so famous, I get a smile on my face when tourists come to Singapore and tell me that they've visited Mustafa, like it is a tourist attraction. Oh yes, and incidentally, in case you wonder, it does also come with its own hotel and money changer.

Mustafa Department Store
Mohd Mustafa & Samsuddin Co Pte Ltd
145 Syed Alwi Road, Off Serangoon Road, Singapore 207701
Ph 6295 5855, Fax 6295 5866
Website : www.mustafa.com.sg

No comments: