Friday, May 25, 2007

The Power of Orange Mixers

Apologies for the inside joke in the blog title that probably only two people in the world reading this blog would get, and even then only half of the joke. The joke's for me.

So in trawling my vast array of (semi downloaded, semi ripped) MP3 collection yesterday, I've rediscovered the power of mixer tapes. Or mixer CDs as they are usually these days. Happened to chance across one I made while in York, I think, although I am not sure who it was eventually sent to or who it was meant for (equal chances red/white; equal chances orange on that one I think).

But what struck me was the power of the mixer tape. Damn, I must have had a better ear or better influences then, because even listening to it today, it would have been a compilation that I would have liked to have (the fact I have it notwithstanding).

Here's the playlist, in case you'd like a sample:
  1. Annie Lennox - Love Song for a Vampire (the opening)
  2. Jewel & Sarah McLachlan - Song for a Winter's Night
  3. Lorna Vallings - Taste
  4. Goo Goo Dolls - Iris
  5. Indigo Girls - Let Love Come to You
  6. Clannad & Bono - In a Lifetime
  7. Counting Crows - Goodnight Elisabeth
  8. John Denver - Annie's Song
  9. Jewel & Sarah McLachlan & Indigo Girls - The Water is Wide
  10. Sarah McLachlan - I Love You (the closing)

Mix equal parts of sappiness, melancholy and mellowness with a dash of obsession and there you have it, a mixer tape that works in being listenable in the long long run.

I'm pretty sure little fish's mixes far outstrip mine, but as for me and my house, we will listen to sappy music.

[Ed- A correction - it's "mix tapes" apparently, not "mixers" which have something more to do with drinks than music. I learn something new every day... like 'what was I high on when I write some of my blog posts?!']

2 comments:

.::: .: :.:. :.: ... ::: :. .::. .: :. ::. said...

I suppose it's just enuwy and me?

every mix, if it includes a little head and plenty of heart, is always unique and beautiful.

petitemoi said...

Yes, it's pretty much both of you!! :-) I love your mixes, I come across them and it's like coming across someone else's poem... triggering that "Yes that totally works, why didn't I think of that?!" feeling.