Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Hanging by Moments

Went by the blog of an old friend today. I haven't seen her for ages, since I'd graduated, perhaps even before. We were one of those supposed-to-meet, supposed-to-happen, supposed-to-pass-things-to, which just never happened.

I'm amazed that she's still there. In a different form, more musing, more thoughtful, sadder, sometimes gladder, always as usual living her life on the edge like I admire her for. Her blog's title's changed, but I'm impressed that she's still there. In a world where people have come and gone, in a world where I had never expected her to stay, in a world filled with vignettes and vagaries, transient dreams and uncertainties, she is still there.

As is my part to be the silent waiter that does not speak, I cherish her thoughts:

the worst state of mind one can be in
is simply withholding the memory of the future

She's always been artistic, although in a way that I usually only half related to. The thought I had was that she had thoughts that were, at a glance, both deep and cliche at the same time. I had initially imagined that she said words that meant common truths in different ways.

But when I saw the phrase I was struck. Two simultaneous thoughts crossing my mind: the first, how far have I gone into the shallow that I no longer understand the words of friends? the second, what on earth does she mean?

In the vague recollections of my past, I understand only one thing. To remember the future... is to Hope.

No comments: