Friday, December 08, 2006

Unique Pieces


Floral Pendant
Originally uploaded by metaphoric.
In my previous life, I must have been a magpie of some sort. I like collecting things. Especially shiny, happy, silvery things.

I get very attached to the pieces of jewellery I buy. Each and every piece to me needs to have a story, it comes to me with history and gets entrusted to people that I care about, if not kept shiny and happy in a jewellery box at home. DWP (Devil Wears Prada) though that may be, there's a huge potential for these pieces to be like art for me - so the more unique, one of a kind and historical the better.

This piece I found while window shopping in Notting Hill. Lovely bit I fell in love with used to be a tiny remnant of a 19th century teaspoon that the maker didn't quite know what to do with until a while later. He gave up, and shaped it into a pendant, which suits this piece perfectly as a second life.

What I fell in love with on this one was the fact that you could hardly tell it used to be a spoon unless you had been there at the shop. Spoons seldom have that blank space in the middle, almost like a metal carving, and the same patterns on both sides.

It reminded me a little of Arwen's Evenstar. And so I felt it was appropriate that it's going to my very Arwen-looking friend for Christmas this year.

No comments: