Wednesday, July 25, 2007

9

I'm back into a Damien Rice phase, and I never realised how much I love the quiet angst of "9 Crimes". It is the piano, honestly, that gets me. It's that repetitive, quiet, simple (I could so play this!) chord that echoes throughout the entire song. Oh, and Lisa Hannigan's voice. (Aarrgh that she does not have a band or a professional album of her own. She has a uniquely Portisheadish voice.)

Leave me out in the waste
This is not what I do
It's the wrong kind of place
To be thinking of you
It's the wrong time
For somebody new
It's a small crime
And I've got no excuse...

3 comments:

eks, just eks said...

sigh. it's comforting to know that as much as things change (and they do), some things will always remain the same.

normally, i'd rave my head off about damien and lisa, but i think you've covered off all my main points.

(i'd hate to be even more repetitive than i already am, see)

petitemoi said...

stop raving.

it would be a simple but exquisite gift to be able to do this song with you.

i managed to figure out the chords on the piano (simple 4 chord sequence repeated throughout the entire song). i'd actually recorded an acapella solo (lisa hannigan part) of the song. it's eerie that i've managed to figure out her delightfully raspy voice.

eks, just eks said...

another one for the list then.

we'll get around to them.

someday.