Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Summer Rains

Well, nothing to worry about, but I just thought I'd document for the sake of amusement that I've received my first flood warning notification in the mail this afternoon upon getting home. Looks like they're really serious about my place flooding up in the wee hours of tomorrow morning, with the possibility of closure along my road.

I have been "advised (to) make reasonable provision for personal needs as your movements could be restricted" by the Reading Borough Council. I take it that this means forwarding your phone to work from home, making sure you have enough to eat and stocking up from the Tesco's next door before they close. All this I have done.

Jokes of building arks and learning to swim have been flooding (no pun intended) my office social mailbox already, thanks to the idea that people are getting hesistant to come to work since my office is technically (a bit far out... but technically) in a flood risk area. It's more like looking for an excuse not to come to work, if you ask me, but hey, I'm all for it!

In Reading and Caversham, high water levels are expected to be reached at
about 0700 BST.

Reading Borough Council said river levels are unlikely to rise more
than 12ins (0.3m), and the Kennet, Lambourn and Loddon are not expected to
flood.

Mr Abbott added: "There could be flooding of some properties. Levels in
Reading, however, are not expected to be anything like we have had in
Oxfordshire."


Considering that my apartment building has a lovely river view of the Thames, it may flood up to my ground floor. (Boy, would I love to see that happen.) That is, if the water manages to somehow rise high enough from the small Thames tributary stream that is honorarily part of the river, cross an old bowling green, cycle lawn and football field before reaching the front steps of my backyard. (Not to worry, folks at home, I live on the 2nd floor - 3rd floor in Singapore terms).

I'm rather looking with envy at the ducks and swans roaming happily along the river banks and wishing that I had webbed feet. They are in the meantime merrily being traffic obstacles in the way of every car, bicycle and pedestrian haplessly trying to stay dry and look like they had just discovered duck heaven.

No comments: