Thursday, May 24, 2007

Fake Plastic Fake Plastic Fake Plastic Fake Plastic Fake Plastic Fake Plastic Fake Plastic

I'm tired of fake plastic whatever.

If one song could encapsulate how I'm feeling at the moment, it's probably this one. And I can't believe I didn't see it all along. Radiohead knew what they were meaning. If I find myself standing in Tesco's, near the gardening section that's so popular these days (now that summer has come), staring at a green plastic watering can, I know which song will be playing in my head.

I'd wanted to be playing I Saved the World Today, but yesterday it was cheesy. The theme of yesterday was empathy, triumph, a sense of feeling like I actually managed to beat the odds. I had even wanted to celebrate my accomplishments, share with you the joy of having gone through something and even made a small, short-term success out of it. And today, empty joy, small victories, fake plastic comments and a sense of hollowness.

All I'd really gotten back was bitterness, envy, fear of not being able to catch up in this fake plastic world. It can take any genuine feeling of happiness and convert it, swiftly, into a sort of guilt that I'm getting it made. I could have done without the thousand bucks, I could have done without the accolades and the recognition. It would have been enough for me with a smile and a genuine thank you from someone I worked for. I could have been happy with a genuine "that's great" and "I'm really happy for you". I guess there are a lot of fake plastic things for you to get hung up on these days.

And it does let me know that I'm not really as over the peak as I think I am.

Fake Plastic Trees - Radiohead
A green plastic watering can
For a fake chinese rubber plant
In the fake plastic earth

That she bought from a rubber man
In a town full of rubber plans
To get rid of itself

It wears her out, it wears her out
It wears her out, it wears her out

She lives with a broken man
A cracked polystyrene man
Who just crumbles and burns

He used to do surgery
On girls in the eighties
But gravity always wins

And it wears him out, it wears him out
It wears him out, it wears him out

She looks like the real thing
She tastes like the real thing
My fake plastic love


But I can't help the feeling
I could blow through the ceiling
If I just turn and run

And it wears me out, it wears me out
It wears me out, it wears me out

And if I could be who you wanted
If I could be who you wanted
All the time, all the time

No comments: