Saturday, May 12, 2007

Link: Lunch in a Box

Interesting how the Japanese come up with food that has the most complicated preparation methods, and also all the short cuts to prepare food that still looks as nice.

SS-Biggie's website (linked to Flickr) is amazing. I'm honestly 100% astounded that in this day and age, there is a mother out there preparing lunch boxes every day for her kid, and paying attention to tiny details like decoration (she has bento box dividers organized) and separating takuan pickles from the kamaboko fishcakes because they turn the kamaboko yellow.

I would be blessed if I had someone even make me a lunch box every day, so the idea of a mother making rice balls for a son to take to school in a lunch box speaks of unimaginable depths of maternal virtue that I can only gawk at.

SS Biggie lived in Japan as an expat for nine years and speaks fluent Japanese. Many techniques are picked up from Japanese bento cookbooks (I didn't know they have those!) and some ideas are downright fantastic - spaghetti in cup cake containers for a fast, quick and mess free disposable meal!

1 comment:

enuwy said...

Funnily enough I discovered this site fairly recently as well - greta minds think alike :)

I love all the lunch ideas - and I love that her kid eat grown up food too.