Sunday, April 29, 2007

Fabulous invention of new world television

I've discovered a fabulous invention of television that I don't have back home. English subtitles for the hearing impaired! Well, not that I am hearing impaired, and also not that back home (tm) have no subtitles in English. Just none for programs in English.

Now why would anyone want to read subtitles on screen in the same language that they are listening to if they were not hearing impaired? What is the additional benefit, pray tell, of the very same words spelt out on screen, sometimes in really bad spelling?

It's amazing! There are even subtitles for ads. And hashes #where there are songs#. The best thing of all is... there are #titles and artists# of songs played on TV. Even on Grey's Anatomy, Smallville, Desperate Housewives, Dawson's Creek and Friends. Even when an ad plays - I now know what Land of Hope and Glory and that particularly used Tchaikovsky piece sounds like. Now I will never have to sit there and wonder, and ask a friend, google, and ponder for ages thinking "What the heck is that lovely song played on the telly?" The television will now, very kindly, as it should have for ages, tell me what the song is and who its sung by. Lovely, lovely invention!

My television gives me subtitles!! In English!! With instantly google-able song title and music artist! Long live digital TV!!

The oddest thing of all is, with audio options, somehow when I switch to Audio: English for the visually impaired - the sound goes off. It must be a bug, not a feature. But I'm a happy hamster now...

No comments: