Friday, June 08, 2007

In memory of the previous bike


I know I'm a bit obsessed, but just to put things in perspective, colour and all - you see, it looks so much nicer. Sportier, white, with that nice trimming on the saddle too.
But I'm learning that looks aren't everything.

The Ride

Specialized has bigger wheels, making the ride stable, but harder work. While the Giant could previously go on gear 4 on a straight road, the Specialized cuts a little bit of work at 3, with 4 if you want a workout.

But stable it is. I now can come to a halt at traffic lights while balancing perfectly on the bike. With some Giants you can do that, but I found the frame giving that tinny, hollow feeling, while not exactly being too light either.

The Body

Frame wise, the Specialized had one detail that the Giant kind of messed up on - the Giant had the wires at the bottom of the top bar of the frame, making lifting the bike messy work with wires pressing into your fingers. Like most other bikes, Specialized routes them on the side and top of the bar, so you get a clear lift off.

It's also 0.6kg lighter, overall having a slightly better frame, so while nobody likes to lift bikes off the ground, at least now I can rather easily, despite the Specialized being a 15" frame to the Giant's 14" frame.

It's got comments that it was a big bike for a small girl though, something which is probably true, although the Giant did feel a tad tiny to my frame. I had to push the seat down as far as I can manage while cramming in the lights, reflector and mudguard, but am realizing that vantage point and leverage on the pedals cannot be under-estimated.

The Joy

Oh the joy of the ride. The Specialized has silent well-oiled brakes, unlike the screechy nonsense of the old girl. I am beginning to wonder if the place where I got it next specialized (pun unintended) in only bicycles, unlike the multi-purpose shop where I had to get the previous bike, and hence did a better job of tuning the bike up prior to shipping. Never mind that I had to fit the pedals, turn the handlebars and adjust the seat for myself and didn't get a customized fitting - but Halfords did a half bit job of it anyway and besides fitting the bike up in front of my eyes, didn't do much for the piece.

The brakes started screeching on the Giant since practically Day 1, and the chains rattled when they move. The frame is slightly lighter too, sacrificing balance for flexibility and control. So... you're looking at steering a Mazda instead of a BMW.

And it doesn't cushion rocks and hard places half as well as the Specialized does. Must be the numb preventing saddle.

No comments: