Wednesday, June 06, 2007

My new set of wheels

As geographically closer friends would already know, my bicycle was stolen from right under my nose (or apartment building to be more exact) over the weekend. How? I wonder at the audacity of the thief, breaking into a locked (but commonly neglected) bicycle shed) and breaking the bicycle lock to get to my bike.

It was pretty much brand new! (laments) Having been only 2 months old at most, and of the brand that I liked the most - Giant.

I was pretty reluctant to consider other brands, being rather loyal to Giant after having tried it in Melbourne, but Specialized was the other brand which was recommended to me, and partially considered, after having finally decided to go the Giant way.

Guess fate had another thing to say. The lost Giant got replaced by the Specialized Hardrock Sport for Women. The only gripe I had about it was the colour of the frame - a sort of gaudy, electric blue, and the size of the frame (actually the one suited for my height, but my short legs make me chicken and I keep opting for a smaller frame that I should really get). But as for the ride, I can't complain.

In fact, it makes the Giant ride like a Toyota and the Specialized like a BMW bordering on a 4WD (the irony). It's sturdy. Stable. With large wheels (larger than the Giant, larger than the frame almost in proportion), and a silent, smooth braking system and gears that click and shift into place better than the clunky Giant, I'm beginning to think that Giant is simply overrated as being the biggest producer of bikes in the world and therefore showing high value for money for the features on their bikes.

This frame is lighter, despite being larger, and offers better control. Despite the large wheels, turning at slow speeds offer confidence, control and precision, and stability on surfaces is unparallelled. Previously, the Giant Yukon would rattle a little, and the brakes made a skittery, squeaky noise from Day 1. This one glides smoothly and firmly to a halt, and there isn't a hint of a rattle, even on rough surfaces.

The only thing now to get used to is the height. I pushed the wheels way down so my feet pretty much touch the ground and went as chicken as I dared. Although that's the way it is, and comfort wise a requirement, needing to mount a bike instead of simply get on makes me feel a little uncomfortable. Not to mention I've not yet really mastered the elegant way of getting on and off with a skirt on.

But pleased I am. And if this gets stolen yet again, my heart is really going to be broken.

3 comments:

Gloria said...

Came to your blog incidentally.
Such a nice bicycle, i like it,but don't worry, i won't steal it,hah.
Hope u wont' lose any more.
I have a tiny bicycle, really small, show u next time.
And i also plan to buy a hill bicycle in the future. I like riding bicycle, especially from the hill, the felling is so magic, really like skiing from the high point, but safe than skiing,hah,because i had a accident when skiking last Chirstmas, a bit scared, my friends always tease me, will u go skiing again? During the operation i said no, after that "oh, sure, why not? it's so adventruous,hah
Good luck to u

.::: .: :.:. :.: ... ::: :. .::. .: :. ::. said...

Giant and Specialized bike provide great value for money.

Giant's originally from Taiwan and Specialized is from US West Coast. Agree with you on the colour...

petitemoi said...

Rides so much better though... and in the interest of comparison, I will now have to honestly say that Specialized is better value for money.