Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Organic Fresh Foods at your doorstep

Well, I'm not talking about the Tesco's organic range at my doorstep. Curiosity got the better of me, so when I received the 2nd Abel & Cole's brochure in the mailbox, with a recommendation from an Australian colleague of mine living in London who uses them frequently, I decided to check out the website.

The result is surprising. A wide range of fish, meats, dairy, fruits and vegetables - all organic, locally farmed and sourced without air freight - at relatively affordable prices, delivered to your door free of charge and you don't even have to be home when they arrive. Even better, they deliver at my area on Fridays, which is my usual grocery day out anyway, which makes for a very good option in home cooking during the week.

I might switch very soon after coming back from Singapore - simply because the range of food isn't too shabby for now and then cooking. Having a mixed bag also takes the humdrum away from having to choose foods, and allows me to try new foods which I probably wouldn't buy if I were walking around Tesco's by myself. I might try it for the fish, if it's going to be good - since Tesco's isn't.

I love this, actually. Life is too short to eat cheap, run of the mill, probably unhealthy Tesco produced fresh produce. Overcoming the snob value of getting organic food all the time, the bottom line is that for good taste and for good health, getting fresh foods from a specialized grocer like this, even if you pay more, is well worth it's while in the long run.

Did I mention the other day that I was walking in Tesco's and browsing the fruits section when I found mouldy grapes sitting on one of the shelves? I've been getting squeamish about mass produced fresh foods for a while now...

No comments: