Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Fall and Forests


This season, cinnamon, hollies and Halloween are all the rage for Fall (aka Autumn to some peeps in the Northern Hemisphere). Bath and Body Works is cashing in on the theme of warmth, mulling spices, and pumpkins. Pumpkins are big and the smell of spices and apples are everywhere.

It's lovely. Fall is my favourite season in the year, and being immersed in it in a way that I've not been before, I completely know why.

My mum had a photo album when I was ten. On the cover was a photo print of forests during fall, with the verse (and I don't know why I remember this always - its one of those trivial things that stay in your long-term memory and wastes space there...) "One impulse from a vernal wood will teach you more of man/Of moral ages and of good than all the sages can". It was probably one of those photo albums that were made in Japan, but funny when I saw the forest today - that was what I was thinking.

The forest on the photo album looks like a picture in the next blog post I'm putting up - but this holly plant taught me something. It told me, "Grow despite, not because. And it is also saying to me, "Sometimes growing different to the background isn't a bad thing, it is in standing out that one finds oneself beautiful."

No comments: