Friday, October 20, 2006

The Petit Manseng

I know this post is food related, but I think as time goes by and I fail to have enough to update two blogs, I'm going to move all the Food Magnet blog posts over to this one. Yes, in case you really didn't know, I do maintain the Food Magnet blog as well (albeit maintaining being an over-statement).

I found a really nice new grape varietal in Virginia called the Petit Manseng. It's usually grown in limited areas in the southwestern area of France, particularly in the Jurancon region and came to Virginia perhaps only recently since it's a very little known type of grape. In fact, it's so little known that the vintner at Veritas, a vineyard that just started to produce this wine, mistakenly mentioned that the grape is called the Jurancon Moelleux, when in fact, it is not the grape, but the region where the grape (the Petit Manseng) is grown.

The Petit Manseng is a curiously amazing wine. It's a very fruity, a nearly Riesling like white that bursts in a floral fragrance on the nose, with a finish that is nearly mead-like or peachy.

It certainly made me curious enough to want to log on and find out more about the wine when I could. Think I'll be looking out for this wine more - if the reviews are going right, it's only upward from here for the Petit Manseng in Virginia.

No comments: