Thursday, October 19, 2006

It was the only fish caught that day...


The Fish I Caught
Originally uploaded by metaphoric.
As probably anyone would know, saying that I know how to fish would be akin to saying that a chicken knew how to fly. ie. both are vague attempts at simulating the movements required to perform the action, without really knowing what went into really doing it.

But there it was. I made my first cast - very much aided by dad who said, "You hold the line here like this, and toss the line in with a flicking movement of the wrist..." And so I mimicked the action as best I could and the line went in. Quite a distance. "And then we wait." said the dad. That's the boring bit.

Sceptical brother in the background going "I don't think there's any fish around there."

And so I reeled the line in thinking there wasn't much point anyway and wanted to try again (the fun is in the casting I have to tell you).

The line came in quite a ways actually, but there was a tugging on the line like a weight (I thought seaweed) at the end of it. And then the rod started to twitch. "You know what?" said dad, "I think she may have actually gotten a fish."

"What?! Like on the first try?"

I pulled a bit faster. My reeling wasn't really in a rush anyway - I felt sorry for any poor fish that may have inadvertently gotten stuck at the end of my line. The sinker broke the surface and with it, was a shiny, flipping bluegill at the end of the line.

I was afraid of the flapping, flailing fish the whole time. But somehow managed to keep it at arm's length enough to take a picture.

That was my first (and probably only time) fishing.

As you can see, I'm not into fishing (under-statement of the year). But it must have been beginner's luck - as it was the only fish caught that day.

No comments: