Sunday, October 08, 2006

It's been a while, hasn't it?

I just realised that it has really been quite a while since my last blog post. And with good reason. There's plenty to blog about, but I just haven't quite found the time to write anything about it.

Without being too dry about mundane topics, here's basically what had happened in the last two months or so that has elapsed in my life.

I've...
  1. Changed jobs in the same company.
  2. Relocated to a different postal code, different district... in fact, different country and different continent.
  3. Been in 3 different countries in the course of a week.
  4. Attempted getting new bank accounts, rented apartments and a whole new life in the course of 3 weeks.
  5. Dealt with a totally different keyboard configuration.
  6. Changed the layout of my blog (its neater this way)

So yes, I've been busy. Understandably.

It's probably going to be easier to keep track of my life (where I've been and where I am going) through my Flickr page than through here - in the end. Since most of the time these days I'll end up travelling with little else than a trusty camera.

I'll try to keep up.

It's funny how far the extent one would be willing to go in pursuit of an old dream. I say old, because it wasn't even a current one, and it started with a strange and probably silly now in hindsight promise to move vaguely towards the land of the Oranje. Whatever happened to that, mij engel?

So many times I find myself on a distant shore, sings Sarah Brightman in my ears. Too many acquisitions along the way. Digital SLR, 60gb iPod, rented apartment to call my own, a one-way ticket to the EU. Too many broken promises, too many meaningless dreams, too much effort in pursuit of a "running away".

But I am still propelled along, like the backward cars of a headlong train, towards a future that I can only grasp as a good idea in the corners of my mind.

1 comment:

eks, just eks said...

i sometimes wonder how different things might be, if i had chosen differently.

are we truly the masters of our own fate, or are all things preordained - by force of nature, god, or something even more arcane?

childish dreams, i might say of those "strange and silly" promises. but the truth is... they never die.

still, i remain a prisoner of my circumstance - self-inflicted, no doubt, by foolish youth.

i found you here (with no help, i might add) and continue to return (albeit irregularly) for a reason.

you are that thread that holds the now-me to the then-me. you are my continuity. you are my history.

twins, remember? blood is a hard bond to break, but what of the ephemeral bonds of dream?

even harder, i contest.

i appreciate the "anonymity" of our current arrangement. i doubt the now-me would recognise the now-you if we were to pass on the street, and likewise, in reverse.

allow me to break from this for just a moment to speak to the now-you - my heartiest congratulations and warmest regards for having arrived at the place you are now. you deserve it, always have (though maybe now you can do away with troublesome humility and perhaps even smile a little at the fact). if it means anything to you, i am proud of how much you've achieved, and so quickly, mijn meisje.

i have not forgotten the "strange and silly" things - i may not remember the words, but i never forgot the melody.

todavía cantamos,
todavía pedimos,
todavía soñamos,
todavía esperamos


and as long as you continue to remember these "strange and silly" things, our selves-that-are-yet-to-be will meet again in the place that our selves-that-were had dreamed.